LeBron James is a 6-8 forward for the Cleveland Cavaliers, but there is more to him than just that. We compiled five facts that you may not know about the NBA Champion.
5. He was the FIRST high school sophomore to be named Ohio's Mr. Basketball & first to be selected to the USA Today All-USA First Team
This would be the first of many records King James would break.
4. He was introduced to basketball at age nine by his local youth football coach.
His mother struggled to find steady work causing the family to jump from apartment to apartment. She thought it would be best to move in with the family of his youth football coach.
3. He was named all state his sophomore year... in football.
James was a huge wide receiver, just check out his high school highlights.
2. He received an football scholarship from Urban Meyer in 2000.
Urban Meyer was the wide receivers coach for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at this point. James high school football coach laughed at Meyer.
This was his encounter, according to Melissa Rohlin of The Los Angeles Times,"I didn't know what he was laughing at," Meyers said, "so we went down and sat in a room and he said, 'Do you know who that is?' and I said, 'No' and he said, 'LeBron James' and I said, 'Who's LeBron James?' and he said, 'He'll be the next Michael Jordan' and I go, 'Come on.'"
1. "The Decision," where LeBron James chose to join the Miami Heat, raised $6 million for charity.
Many called James selfish for this act, but few know that the revenue from this event actually benefited multiple charities. The Boys & Girls Club of Greenwich, Connecticut received $2.5 million alone from the broadcasting of the event.